About Mat Kemp
Mat Kemp’s work is created by combining recycled and found objects with elements of urban salvage.
His materials bank is constantly updated with todays cast offs and artefacts from the past. The streets, parks, rivers and attics of London and New York are constant sources of materials, as are donations from a network of friends and fellow artists.
The objects can be in the studio for years before they are matched with the appropriate partner. The materials are allowed dictate while the story or subject is being formulated. There is often no pre conceived idea of a piece
The Majority of the wood used comes from the river Thames, the natural sculptural qualities are left untouched.
Other elements, recycled Nespresso capsules, Rawl plugs and toys are tweaked beyond instant recognition allowing the viewer to focus on the subject and not be distracted by the story of the material.
The use of toys helps to establishes element of fun and humour, not essential ingredients but close to the surface of many pieces.
Mat is a regular participant of international art fairs and his work is in private collections in Paris, London, Oxford. New York, Zurich, Brussels and Tokyo.
Mat is represented by Cube Gallery in London – https://www.cube-gallery.co.uk
Castleford Yorkshire 1960
- School of Communication Arts 1990.
- Royal College of Art 1987. Diploma in Bronze Casting
- Instituto Statale D’Art Florence 1982 Diploma in Sculpture restoration
- University of Newcastle upon Tyne 1985, Ba Hons Sculpture (1st)
- 2019 Art Nassau Antwerp summer show
- ART MIAMI 2018
- NOA London 2017
- Art Miami 2017
- Ffound London 2017
- A river runs through it London 2017
- Art 33 2016/17
- Solo show Panter and Hall 2015
- Refuse Reuse London 2015
- Here Today 2014 https://heretoday.org
- Battersea Affordable Art Fair 2014/15
- Hampstead Affordable Art Fair 2014
- New York Affordable Art Fair 2014-18
- The Other Art Fair 2012/16
- Wimbledon Open Studios 2009/2016
- Shooting Star Chase show RCA 2010/2015
- Emerging Realities, Craft Central London 2012
- Surface at Barossa Fulham, 2011/12
Works held in private collections New York, Tokyo, London, University of Cambridge, University of Oxford.
- LEGO E ALTRI GIOCATTOLI le idee che l’art ha rubato ai bambini VALERIA ARNALDI
- Unfolded Magazine 08 2011 Mat Kemp ‘The Art of Humour’
- Visiting Fine Art lecturer Polytechnic of Southampton 1997
- INSTALLATION AT ROUND CORNER BREWING Melton Mowbray 2018
- Created and produced ‘BLAH BLAH BLAH’ range of greetings cards 1996/2009
- Assistant to Marcello Guasti Florence 1982
- Assistant to Robert Smith 1985
- Assited in production of Bronzes for Eduardo Paolozzi, Phillip King, Bryan Kneale 1988